Old 02-15-18, 06:13 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Several of those photos you posted look semi-rural or perhaps industrial. If they go, say 1/2 mile or so between intersections, then they would be excellent candidates for off-street MUPs. And, it may already be in the government right-of-ways.
Yes, that particular stretch would be a good candidate segregrated MUP. I will remind myself to look into it.

Originally Posted by CliffordK
7 lane roads? Are they morphing into freeways? Not my favorite riding areas, even with bike lanes. Make sure you look before crossing exit lanes.
Can't really be helped on this one. I live on one side of this highway and my work on the other. Prior to the installation of the bike lanes I was taking another route to cross the highway:

IMG012.jpg

This was not much fun. I was stressed everyday on the PM ride with lots of cars and a speed limit of 70 km/h. So I was quite grateful when the bike lane on the '7-lane' road was installed, and often the traffic is so congested on this that I am travelling the same speed as, or even faster than traffic.

I don't know about budgeting moneys for constructing MUP's, but my region's initiative to make cycling a sustainable and safe mode of transportation is admirable, if not entirely effective. There are more bike lanes being added, and I think their presence alone raises drivers' awareness of the possibility that there may be bicycle traffic alongside them. It's not perfect, but it's better than doing nothing.