View Single Post
Old 02-18-18, 08:51 PM
grayEZrider 

Bikes: '13 Specialized Elite, KHS 223, '94 Trek 2120, 92 Raleigh technium, '87 Centurion LeMans, '86 Centurion IronMan, 2019 Canyon Endurace Al

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 34 Posts
Not a Ross Signature, but a 508 Triad!

Was watching for a Ross Signature when I found a "maybe", judging from the one pic of the frame. Bought it for $80 and drove 240 mi round trip to get it. Tear down and study of the thing makes it (by catalog equipment list and Eisho lugs) a Ross 508 Triad. So I got extra lucky. But The serial number isn't anything near the layout for Ross bikes of any year or model. The catalog says it was available in all Ross colors. I'm guessing these were an "spec it, order it and wait for the build" bikes. Which might explain the SN. It looks like crap, but is the right size and intact. And after owning one of the mid-range Ross Gran Pro Tours since 1980 I have always wanted one of the hand built top of the line ones. (They did make a few hundred- by Kellogg and Redcay mostly, and "85 was the last of the Signature Series and USA made stuff.) SN reads RA850201229. Which is nothing like the production or even Signature series number system. Aside from probably the "R and 85", does anyone have any ideas about the rest of the serial number meaning?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Ross 508 Triad as found.jpg (95.8 KB, 146 views)
Ross Eisho head tube lug ID.jpg (27.9 KB, 145 views)
Ross 508 sn.jpg (83.8 KB, 144 views)