View Single Post
Old 02-19-18, 03:27 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
In any case, I'm not invested in what or how anybody else rides, nor in whether, after asking my advice, they actually take it. They don't even have to be grateful, but I do care if they're ungrateful, or argue about advice that was only offered because they asked.
The reason I wrote that post you are responding to had nothing to do with your post in this thread. It should be clear to which thread I was responding, and if you believe that I have to accept sarcasm or snark as the price of soliciting information in open forum... well I don't agree. But, to your advice and your opinions: I have owned the recumbent for some months. I could find the invoice and tell you exactly, but sometime around late August, early September should be about right. I could not even ride it for the first two weeks. Then I could coast down an incline and finally I could steer and get underway from a standing start on even a moderate incline.

I do in fact practice in a parking lot and over the months have met a variety of security personnel, most of whom ignore or provide active encouragement for my efforts but also a couple who threaten me with trespassing summons and in any case cut my practice session short. I always arrive at the lot at daybreak, and usually leave an hour later or when the barricades to allow vehicles to enter the lot go down. Clearly I am wearing out my welcome in any case and I am far from ready to mix it up with motor traffic.

Re: tire pressure. I am running the tires at 60psi. 20psi below max inflation. I was doing this for ride quality purposes. I don't dare go any lower. If anything I think going higher would make the front tire more stable and provide more secure handling. I would probably need a bigger section tire if I were going to lower the pressure any further and a new tire (pair?) and a steering damper look to be about the same in price. And with tires taken out of the handling equation, in the future even tires like I use on other bikes (Schwalbe Marathon) with even higher max inflation (100psi) become realistic as I also plan to use elastomer mounts for the hardshell seat to provide the shock absorbing vs lowering tire pressure and risking pinch flats once out on the road.