Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob_E
For the past several years I have been biking, sometimes with the help of a bus, to a music festival that takes place about 50 miles away. I often try and cheat(with the bus) on the way there, so I can get there early in the day for the best choice of camping spots. I also experiment with different routes to keep the scenery interesting. This year I am considering taking the train to a nearby town so that I can approach the festival from an entirely new direction.

Every year I try to camp with friends in central Ohio in late May. For years I drove up from North Carolina, 500 miles, but now I have no car, so I've been trying different options. This year I will likely fly into Cleveland with my bike, bike around northeast Ohio for a few days visiting friends and family, and then bike to camp. At the end of the weekend, I will bike 60 miles to Columbus and fly home. Last year was similar except I biked from Cleveland to camp, then from camp to Pittsburgh, where I caught the Great Allegheny Passage down to Cumberland, Maryland, where I caught a train home. I hope to do something similar in the future, but this year I don't have time for 400+ mile trip that I did last time.

After riding the GAP last year, I decided it was easy enough riding that my wife, who only bike occasionally, could handle it. So we, along with my aunt and uncle, rode the trail in the fall as a credit card tour. I'm hoping to find a similar ride to do this year.