View Single Post
Old 02-25-18, 08:52 PM
Ghrumpy

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Keep an open mind. Not all of us do well with float. I've had a knee condition for 40 years (chrondomalcia patellae). If I do not want to do irreversible wear to my knees, leading to replacements, I need pedals that force my feet to toe in. This means "no-float" pedals and cleats for me. I use the black cleats and LOOK Delta pedals and old fashioned toeclips, straps and aluminum slotted cleats. Not saying this is what you need. Just that everybody telling you you have to have float might not be actually true. I need pedals that force my knees to operate at the angle that works without wear and damage. (And I listened to everybody telling me float was the bee's knees for 15 years before somebody finally listened to me and told me about the LOOK pedals using the black cleats. Until then, I just rode my toeclips in happy ignorance.) No-float pedals have been doing their job for me for 40 years. I still have my OEM knees and they are in good shape.

Ben
This is important.

Float doesn't necessarily cure a problem. Sometimes, it just masks it. Floaty pedals can allow a biomechanically bad position or stroke to be ridden without injury, but also without addressing the underlying problem. Can't tell you how many times I've ridden with people whose pedal strokes make my knees hurt just watching them. If your knees are fragile, have your position and stroke evaluated by a fitter you trust, and make sure there's not something else going on that can be corrected.