I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,530 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by AlanK
It's about living simply and cheaply and working as little as possible so I can focus on doing things I enjoy - hiking, biking, kayaking, traveling, etc. In many places it's simply too expensive to live a healthy, happy life because one has to work way too much. This is way van living is on the rise in many places.

I'm in very much the same situation. I have a cat that is almost 19 I feel obligated to care for to a reasonable degree. He's doing OK, but as with most old cats he has fairly advanced kidney disease and I don't expect him to live beyond this year.

While he's been a great companion for about 17 years and I'll be sad after he's gone, if I'm being honest I'll also be relieved to be free of the responsibility, which will make it more viable to considering doing things like living out of a van and traveling.

As I wrote, I love the idea of just living off a bike for an extended period of time, but having a vehicle to sleep in gives you more flexibility and security. I guess you could get a hotel/motel for a few days since bikes are much less expensive than motorized vehicles.
I suspected that working as little as possible and avoiding responsibilities were significant reasons. A need for extreme frugality is a logical result of making such choices.