Bike Forums - View Single Post - Wheelbuilders: I have questions about 650b HED Belgium Plus rims
Old 03-03-18, 01:48 PM
Metaluna

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO, Gunnar Sport, Soma Saga, Workswell WCBR-146

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY View Post
As for the right/left lacing direction, I don't believe it's because of different angles drilled, since the difference is too small to make a difference. As a basis of comparison, consider that the difference is right/left angle is less than the difference in the forward/back angle you see in crossed patterns. I suspect that the rim may have a right/left offset or asymmetry in spoke vs. tire placement, like the one shown here.
Hmm, I don't think this is an offset rim, but I'll take another look at it. It would be awesome if it is!

I agree with your comments on ERD vs (NSD? nipple seat diameter?). Transparency is always good at this level of technical knowledge. There's no need to dumb the numbers down since anyone attempting a wheel build in the first place should be assumed to be sophisticated enough to understand all the factors involved (or at least, once all the books and online tutorials get updated to reflect the new methods). The exception might be rims with proprietary nipples and washers, like the DT Swiss ones I considered for this build.