Bike Forums - View Single Post - Freewheel axle shaft question????
View Single Post
Old 03-05-18, 05:13 AM
RichardHaas

Bikes: Schwinn S7, Schwinn '66 cruiser, couple of MTB's

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Freewheel axle shaft question????

I found a very dirty, dusty Schwinn 5 speed Cruiser that I bought very cheap. Got it home and started taking apart and cleaning it.
It is a Schwinn Cruiser with a date code on the front badge dated 2766. Also on the back is a sticker that says Giant and has the same number. Looking at the info I have found it could be a '66 or '76.
My question is on the freewheel shaft, the threads are buggered up some. Looks like it might have been rode with the mounting nuts loose sometimes. They were tight when I removed the wheel. I'm not sure the thread size but I think they are 3/8" x 24 tpi. It is 6 1/2" long.
I have another shaft that came off a Huffy mtb that is the same size and length but when I took one of the nuts from the Cruiser and threaded it on the mtb shaft, it seemed to be just a little sloppy. Not much but a little.
I'm not sure if the thread pitch is the same but another idea would be to use all the bearing cups that go onto the shaft from the mtb and just use it that way. Both bikes have the same bearings so that wouldn't be a problem.
Then again I could just buy one off Ebay or local bike shop.
I redid the front wheel yesterday and did a good cleaning. The chrome will allmost blind you it shines so much in the sunshine. The more I clean and polish it, the more excited I get about how it will look when finished.

Thanks
Richard