Bike Forums - View Single Post - Freewheel axle shaft question????
View Single Post
Old 03-05-18, 07:24 AM
cny-bikeman 
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
To avoid confusion please refer to the links below for bike terminology. The first link shows the names for internal parts of a hub (as well as the entire hub overhaul procedure) the second is an overall view of the parts of a bicycle.

Also, your use of non-standard terms indicate that you might be working on the bike without accurate guidance. I would suggest you check at Park Tool Repair Help. Go there before you rely on YouTube videos, which are not always complete or even accurate. As noted you can't at all count on the cones (not bearing cups) being compatible. It's more likely they are not. If you have enough axle length the fix may be as simple as putting extra washer width on the right side or shifting the axle and then sawing off the excess on the left end. Make sure the damaged part is actually where the nut ends up, rather than where the dropout sits on the axle. In any case I would caution against jumping into ordering parts online. Check with your local shops - both Cyclewright and Overmountain have multiple good reviews.

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...icle-section-1
Bike Jargon Buster

Don't tell me what "should" be - either it is, it isn't, or do something about it.

If you think I'm being blunt take it as a compliment - if I thought you were too weak to handle the truth or a strong opinion I would not bother.

Please respect others by taking the time to post clearly so we can answer quickly. All lowercase and multiple typos makes for a hard read. Thanks!

Last edited by cny-bikeman; 03-05-18 at 07:45 AM.