Bike Forums - View Single Post - Do 31.8 clamp bands for brake levers exist?
Old 03-05-18, 06:01 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4361 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
That second bar that you show looks like the "wings" may be removable, or a separate part from the main bars.

Nonetheless, you should be able to pry the clamps open... hopefully. If you found, or had some made that were the right size.

I haven't tried the Dia Compe 139 brakes. They'd have to be a pretty good match for your bars to be useful, although you should have some right/left adjustment and rotational adjustment during the install.
Yes, the OP can pry the clamps open but that won't solve the problem. They will only work on a bar that's roughly 23.8mm because the band isn't long enough to close and bring the holes into alignment on anything larger.

It's possible that some brand of interrupter lever has an optional 31.8 clamp, but I suspect that the OP's only option is going to be DIY.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.