gnrboyd

Bikes: 2014 Trek 7.4 FX Hybrid - Early 80s Raleigh Rapide 10 Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spacing from cassette to frame

Bike: 2014 Trek 7.4 FX Hybrid

I just replaced my Shimano rear axle set with a generic axle set from my LBS. The axle has cones that are 1.5 mm shorter than the originals (13.5 mm vs 15 mm each) and a spacer that is 3 mm longer than the original (14 mm vs 11 mm). This caused the rim to move closer to the drive side which meant I had to re-dish the wheel. After doing so, I realized that the cassette is now closer to the frame.

From what I understand, it is preferred to get the cassette as close to the frame as possible to minimize the amount of dish. How close is too close? (The bike is still half torn apart so I can't really test for chain rub at the moment.) As you can see from the photos, only about half of the lock nut extends outside of the cassette lock ring which is roughly 2 mm. The thickness of the cassette lock ring is about 1.4 mm so I have about 3.4 mm (give or take) from the smallest cog to the inside of the drop out. Is this enough?

Would I be better off using the old spacer (-3 mm) and adding in a washer on each side (+3 mm total), moving the cassette further back approximately where it was? (and re-dishing). This also would help get the lock nut back out for better access when adjusting the cones. However, I think having the cassette closer to the frame would make a slightly stronger wheel because it would have less dish.

I'm not sure what the normal practice is for spacing. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

ps... I thought I had my bike fairly clean until I looked at the photos taken in macro mode...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_2775.jpg (489.5 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg
100_2778.JPG (619.8 KB, 75 views)