View Single Post
Old 03-07-18, 02:31 AM
Suza

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Crossroads Sport, 2018 Specialized Women's Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rickymac
Been looking at the Roll for both my wife and I. Neither of us have been on a bike since the mid eighties. Were both in our mid sixties and primarily looking for something that isn't going to keep us up all night regretting our decision. I took a spin on the crossroad and roll. Tough decision. If I rode by myself I would pick the crossroad elite. But I do have to admit, the next day I was somewhat sore due the seat. I have to wonder If I put a wider comfortable seat on would I like it the same. The issue I have with the Roll is my neighbor, who is an avid bike person. He tells me I'll regret getting a bike without front shocks. I told him on the roll it appears that you mostly sit in the upright position, have a shock under the seat, fatter tires to absorb and harsh bumps. He tells me the bike shop probably keeps the tire pressure low for a smoother ride, which isn't good for the life of the tire. So, since I haven't rode many bikes in my quest, nor intend on traveling all over for the perfect bike. My wife back isn't the greatest, and my biggest fear is that if she really starts hurting after each time we ride, I'll be on my own. So, for anyone that has the roll, would you give it a thumbs up for comfort? Or should I be looking at different bikes?

I am seriously considering the Roll as an upgrade to my Crossroads Sport as I want disc brakes. Thinking about the Roll Comp X1 as the much simpler 1X10 gearing is enticing, providing it will still give an equivalent range of gears as my 3X8.

As far as the seat on the Crossroads, I considered swapping the stock seat for a more comfortable (wider and or gel) one, but the bike shop suggested getting padded shorts. Good choice . . . . . made a world of difference. I can ride 10-12 mi on the seat alone, but with the padded shorts, my seat is much happier.

I thought front shocks would be nice, but not sure worth the extra maintenance and weight that comes with them. If I want front suspension, I would have to resort to the Ariel line.

What reviews I have seen on the Roll are supportive; my son just got one, but I haven't had a chance to check it out. As for the Crossroads, I love mine and think you would be happy with it, too. If you like the Crossroads, get it and the Roll for your wife. I know our dealer will fit a bike with a different seat; I Don't know why you couldn't put the "Cup" seat (Roll has this) on the Crossroads. I think maybe the Roll uses this seat because of the different geometry has the crank in front of the seat rather than under.