View Single Post
Old 03-07-18, 06:08 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by rockthisworld
Hi world my name is Nick nice to meet you. I am new to bike commuting and slowly working to transition to a carfree lifestyle once I move 10 miles from work in June. My reasoning is to get in shape, save money, and have less negative impact on the enviorment.

I need some advice, words of encouragement etc that could help me on my 2018 journey….
Originally Posted by Machka
Being car free worked really well for me for 6 years. I was in an ideal situation for it ... easy walking distance from many of the things I needed, and cycling distance to and from work and several other things that were somewhat further away.

Plus a decent bus service. …And Winnipeg was flat as a pancake!
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Boston is probably one of the most Car-free cities in the world, and having a car is often detrimental. We live near the transportation hub of Kenmore Square.

Our easily accessible Car-free / Car-light modalities at home and work are:…
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Please do not post political content outside of the P+R forum.
LCF is so closely intertwined with cycle-commuting, that I had replied to this thread with a recent, now-deleted, non-political (IMO),but contrarian post, partly re-submitted:
However, I don't proselytize about cycling. I posted to this A&S thread, “How can we get more people riding their bikes?.”
I’m going to be a Captain Bringdown to this thread, but I just posted yesterday to this Commuting thread, Beginner Commuting In a Big City,” given the state of current Road transportation,
Frankly, I have posted that I would not be inclined to encourage, unless by example (nor discourage) someone to cycle-commute, but if they so chose, I would freely and gladly give any advice.
Public exhortations to cycle-commute, or utility cycle are well and good with no individual responsibility for bad outcomes, but I would not want the recriminations of a personal endorsement if something bad happened.
Originally Posted by Machka
Hey Nick... if you want to discuss the real world aspects of going car light and/or carfree, allow me to suggest heading over to the Commuting forum. Over there, you'll find people who are actually doing it!

The people in this forum just want to argue the theories.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-07-18 at 06:19 AM.