View Single Post
Old 03-08-18, 10:30 AM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
[QUOTE=General Geoff;20210319]I think any disagreement here stems from a cloudy definition of 'road bike'. There are plenty of flat bar hybrids and commuter bikes that are factory equipped with front suspension. Would you consider them road bikes? And if so, are they silly just for having front suspension?
Originally Posted by veganbikes
A hybrid with a suspension fork is really a mountain hybrid designed for off road.
Anything with 700c wheels and 1.5"/45mm or narrower tires and a suspension fork is a hybrid aimed for comfort, not off-road prowess (CX and XC racebikes not withstanding) Of course, some people consider any unpaved surface, like the C&O or Katy trails to be 'off-road'

Originally Posted by General Geoff
As for the aluminum thing, even my F4 mountain bike I pictured above, with its nice wide 2.0" tires, rides really stiff if I lock out the front suspension. It has an aluminum fork though, which I understand is an almost unheard-of thing these days due to the rough ride they afford.
It's a Headshok, so it doesn't count. Lockout or no, it's a suspension fork. And Aluminum is Cannondale's thing.
The stiff fork and short travel make it a sharper handling rig in the tight stuff, and with enough air in it (I run my F-1000 at ~100psi) it'll take the edge off of bigger hits without bobbing up and down when you're just going down the road.

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Since I am riding on the road I see no need to hop up and down curbs, I would get a BMX bike for tricks and just silly riding.
Hopping curbs isn't just 'tricks and silly riding,' it can be a useful survival skill when you have to share the road with larger vehicles with less-than-attentive operators. I'm not secure enough in my self-assured smugness to 'take the lane' on a 45-55 mph 4-lane, with a hard median and curbs on both sides during peak traffic, so over the curb and on to the sidewalk. They don't always put those ADA ramps in the most convienient spot, being able to clear a curb at speed is a nice option to have.