View Single Post
Old 03-11-18, 12:21 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4324 Post(s)
It's not about new or used, but about how well ill or well conceived the bike is. For example, the OP mentions converting a 700c (or 27") to 650b. But the reduction in rim diameter will impose a brake reach issue. Even if the OP finds caliper with adequate reach, the change in geometry will mean far less leverage, coupled with a reduction in arm stiffness.

My rule has always been that not only is it impossible to make a silk purse out of a sows ear, you can't do so even if you start with a canvas purse.

So, my advice is to start by deciding on the basics, such as wheel size, and ONLY consider options that meet that most critical parameter. A used bike with upgrades and modifications can be a great option,but not one totally remade into something it can never be.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.