View Single Post
Old 03-11-18, 01:27 PM
1nsane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
It would be helpful to know what your road bike is to compare.

I would avoid trying to use stack and reach - they are only useful for comparing bikes with very similar stacks. I would take a look at top tube lengths, keeping in mind that to compare two top tubes you might need to add 1cm for every degree of additional seat tube steepness.

That said, it is common to sit on touring bikes differently than racing bikes to avoid the back stress of just sitting up higher on your road fit. Often touring fits slide the saddle to the rear so you keep some more lower back bend despite higher and closer handlebars.

Of those three, the Surly is really small - the largest size has a short TT and a fairly low stack. The Kona is nearly 4cm taller in the largest size than the Surly and about the same TT length as the largest Salsa size offered. If you are leggy, having a tall bike can really make fitting easier.

Have you tried asking your fitter which geometry of the three they would recommend?
Current bike is a 2010 Trek 2.1.

Effective top tube length would be 58.6cm on my trek vs for example 60cm on the 60cm Surly Disc Trucker.

I forgot to mention it, but i'll be looking at 700c bikes, so Surly makes the biggest frames, up to 64cm (with a stack of 658mm). I think you were looking at the 26" frame sizes.