View Single Post
Old 03-11-18, 09:19 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Hey man. I'm not saying "cadence doesn't matter". There is a cadence range that is needed to do well in the sport.

I am saying that:

- Tracking Maximum Possible Cadence with Relation to Age as a Measure of Fitness or Progress won't achieve what you think it will. Like, say the Estimated Maximum Heart Rate (220 - Age). Or 1-Minute Heart Rate Recovery.
- While cadence work over 170-ish RPM is useful as a "blow out" or "rev up", noting the cadences you hit during the activity as a measure to be tracked isn't worth the effort. As long as you are over the cadences you expect to hit in a race, you are good. Be it 10RPM over or 100RPM over.

This is like saying that your car went 200MPH on the Dyno at the car shop, but you never go over 85MPH...ever. At that point, it's simply a neat number to bring up in conversation

...now the Torque and Power that is measured on a Dyno are significant. But, that's for a different conversation

I find it ironic that everybody arguing that cadence doesn't matter is also talking about their high cadences.
The only thing that my super-duper high cadence got me was some free energy drink powder during a Gold Sprints competition at a team holiday party. Bonus Pics:

You can see how thrilled I was:

Last edited by carleton; 03-11-18 at 09:38 PM.