View Single Post
Old 03-13-18, 09:32 AM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenH
My take on the original question- you're working on two different hobbies. One is fiddling with/riding old bikes. One is randonneuring. And either hobby is fine, but the two aren't really connected. So yeah, you can get the old bike and do randonneuring on it, and other people do, but there's no particular motivation to combine them, either.

It's sort of like if somebody asked, "I like '57 Chevys and I plan to drive cross-country. Should I do so in a '57 Chevy?" and the answer is just "Sure, if that floats your boat", but there's no great motivation to use '57 Chevys for cross-country touring, either.

Personally, I'm kind of waiting until one of those rod-brake Raleighs shows up somewhere semi-local or can be shipped. Yes, I'd ride a 200k on it, but not that's an especially good choice for it.
I have three responses to this.

First, that's an excellent reading of the issue.

Second, riding a 200k on an old Raleigh DL-1 (or the equivalent) would be a crazy thing to do.

Third, crazy as it is, I'd do that, for sure. In fact just this past September I did a flat central NJ randonnee on my ca 1938 Fothergill bike, with cottered steel crank, three speed hub (plus a Trivelox derailleur; so a six speed transmission really), Resilion cantilever brakes, a pretty archaic looking bike (though nowhere near as heavy as a DL-1). I like riding that bike.