View Single Post
Old 04-08-03, 11:38 AM
Lightyear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
a2psyklnut,

According to the brochure, they are Shimano Nexave 500 Cable Actuated Disc Brakes. When I saw them, it was too icy outside to test ride, but they looked to me like 6" discs - front and rear.

This is the only model I am looking at that has disc brakes. It just so happens that this bike also has the very best component package of any ride I have looked at, yet it is only slightly more expensive.

I have been told by some neighbors of mine that are "cycling aficionados" that the components of any bike I am looking at are more than sufficient, and that I am going wasting my efforts comparing one to another. They also are the ones that told me to stay away from disc brakes because "you don't need them for the type of riding you are doing," and "they are only going to cause you maintenance headaches and alot of $ in repairs down the road."

I'm not sure whether I believe that or not. Given that all of the frames I am considering are quality made aluminum frames, what else am I comparing other than component packages?

Thanks for the help -- keep it coming!