Old 03-13-18, 11:10 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18372 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Are some of you people kidding? The driver didn't signal. Period. That, right there, is enough to make it 100% the driver's fault. Still would have been the driver's fault, even if they did signal, but perhaps then you could admonish the rider somewhat.

That many riders would have slowed down in that situation is fine, but this is merely being cautious in anticipation of a driver doing something improper. A lack of precaution does not equal fault.

Also, the poor visibility of newer cars is mostly down to design choices rather than structural issues. Smaller windows look cool.
Yep... the driver is at fault. Crossing a lane of "traffic" without signaling and ascertaining it is clear.

Nonetheless, the driver did slow down before the turn and brake lights did turn on. A cyclist that was riding defensively should have been alerted to these changes and should have also slowed. Even if the driver wasn't turning, one should determine the reason they slowed or stopped before passing.

One thing that I was wondering about was doing a quick right turn evasive action. Many driveways have ridges at the entry way that could make such a turn dangerous if done at too shallow of an angle.

Visibility with respect to vehicle design only helps if a driver cares to look. I learned to always turn my head and look while merging lanes or changing lanes. However, I'm not sure how I would have approached turning from the right most lane across a bike lane that I believed was empty. A lot of drivers depend almost exclusively on their mirrors now.