Old 03-13-18, 12:14 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnJ80
Unfortunately though, at this point Garmin has become a follower (and not even a fast follower) in a market they essentially created/dominated. All of these newer entrants are demonstrating some significant subset of features that are substantially better than Garmin’s. Garmin appears to be concentrating on increasing sales of their support products without keeping up on the computer end. That strikes me as a dangerous game to play.
Not disagreeing with you, but it's helpful to remember that cycling computers make up a very, very small percentage of Garmin's overall business. I know some folks who work for them (their headquarters is just a few miles down the road) and first off, Garmin is a very conservative company as far as releasing new products is concerned. Second, cycling computers make up a small percentage of their outdoor activities division (which includes things like dog training collars). The outdoor division is also a small percentage -- I think he said something like 15% or so.

Their biggest seller is, surprisingly, car navigation. I assumed it would be aviation and maritime, which are also big sellers, but apparently consumer car nav systems are still number one.

Bottom line is that I'm not surprised that cycling computers don't get top priority.