Old 03-13-18, 02:29 PM
79pmooney
A Roadie Forever

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by TenGrainBread View Post

Re: threaded vs. threadless debate. I have ridden both many thousands of miles, and worked on both as a professional mechanic.

The advantage of a threaded system is height adjustment. It has many disadvantages:
-Quill stems tend to seize in steerers if not serviced regularly, and can damage steerers if not fastened correctly. I have seen a lot of this working in bike shops. There is nothing that is susceptible to seizing in a threadless system

To me the biggest one is the seizing issue. An engineering solution which removes the possibility of seizing is in my mind superior. Easily installing and uninstalling cockpit parts is a bonus.
If you change handlebar heights enough, seizing simply isn't an issue. In the long run, time spent messing with headset adjustment swings in favor of threaded. And roadside stem height changes are trivial. (You might need to tap the allen key with a rock.)

Currently my only threadless bike is unridable because I ruined the star nut adjusting the headset. (As far as I can tell, they die after so many stem swaps. In other words they are a consumable. I've been neglecting to stock up. Maybe I am just a hack with them. Maybe a really good thing that I have never attempted an on-road height adjust.)

Ben

Last edited by 79pmooney; 03-13-18 at 02:34 PM.