Old 03-13-18, 09:07 PM
iowa mark

Bikes: GT,Trek,Fuji,and a couple of Schwinns

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Several years ago, I took off on a Sunday morning ride on the gravel roads that fan out from our house in rural Iowa. After a few miles I realized that I hadn't taken this dead end road ever, and decided today was as good as any to go exploring with my go anywhere Schwinn Woodlands. Around the posts at the top of the hill and into waist high weeds and grasses I headed. Cresting the incline and following a narrow deer path through the vegetation, I found myself overlooking the river about a half mile away. I could see a gravel road on the far side , but a bridge that crossed the river on this long ago abandoned road was masked by a clump of trees. Off I went. within fifty feet the deer path took a sharp right hand turn and left me heading through the weeds and down an ever increasing slope. The chain gathered up a large bundle of grasses and removed itself from the drive. The mosquitoes found me about the same time I got the chain reinstalled. Down the hill I headed and again the chain became entangled. The mosquitoes called their friends. The third time the chain left the scene I decided it would be faster to walk the bike down to the bridge and get across and onto a gravel trail that would lead me to fewer winged vampires. Pushing that bike down that last fifty yards to the river was nothing compared to the trip back up the hill again. The bridge was gone and I had no idea how deep the stream was looking over the four foot high cut bank. By far the longest mile I have ever taken on any bike I have ever owned!