I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by rachel120
Why are you in such denial that the laws have been strengthened in a way that supports today's helicopter parenting with over-scheduled kids? Why don't you see that letting your kids go off and be kids is now considered neglectful since anything can happen to them if an adult's eyes are not on them at all times? I could bring up article after article, including one where CPS told a woman she was neglectful for closing her baby's door when he was napping since she wasn't watching him, but somehow I don't think you would accept any of it.

Bottom line, yesterday's latchkey kids remember the trouble they got into when left alone and have gone the opposite extreme. Reinforced by the Mommy Wars and by the number of latchkey kids that pined for the greener grass of parents being around and the news going for shock value and giving the perception that the world is more dangerous than ever for kids, they've pushed laws through that are supposed to "protect" children that have ended up being over-protective. Then mix in the culture change as well, and those that are to interpret the laws are very, very likely to be helicopter parents themselves and think that less supervision is wrong.

You want proof? Go to your city park and look at the playground equipment. Kids have to be super protected, so playgrounds have been modified to the point of ridiculousness that prevent possible injuries by making the slides so low they aren't really slides and the swings can't go high up in the air to be jumped off of.
Any bicycling content and not just ranting how society could be going to hell in a handbasket?

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 03-14-18 at 11:59 AM.