Old 03-15-18, 02:39 PM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by mech986
A lot depends on whether you'll ride typical narrow tires but at least 25-28 wide to cope with the non-paved section. Many, assuming you have side and top frame / fork clearances, choose 32-35 mm wide clinchers with gumwall tires from Compass, Soma, Panaracer, Tufoor similar. Using less pressure but more air volume, at 50-60 psi, sometimes less, the tires feel good, roll just as fast, and in most cases, roll over puncture debris rather than suffer flats, YMMV. Cost is not inexpensive but in this case, you just might get what you pay for.

If running tubular, a limited choice of gumwalls but still available in 25-28. Many like good Tufo rim tubular tape but still a lot of adherents for gluing. The vintage look says gumwall,tan, beige sidewalls.
Wheels are tubulars. I do have extra 6-speed wheels (clinchers, Mavic MA2's) that I might run, but the Paramount has some sweet 5 speed wheels. I went through the last of my $15.00 each tubies I bought in France when I visited family (durability=cost about 3 weeks a tire...haha) I do have some Tufo's on my other bikes, but they are black. Anyway, I will get some quality "tan" walls if I run that wheelset.

My rear is using a Regina Oro 14-17 and my SR cranks are 44-55 (memory, I'll see my bikes tonight)- so I am going to see what gearing I can get away with on the rear. I suspect that I can run a 14-23/14-24 without any issues on my 1981 SR rear derailleur.