Old 03-19-18, 01:57 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
So now this is a cassette not a freewheel? I put a question mark after the spoke protector idea because some do fit under the freewheel, moving it to the right, but couldn't tell from your picture.

I didn't say it was "plug and play". I said "7 speed freewheels fit on 6 speed hubs and in 6 speed frames without any modification." You didn't need to make your hub wider, you needed to move one of the thin spacers from the NDS to the DS side, because 126mm hubs accept 7 speed freewheel at 126mm spacing, as do 126mm frames.
Nope, that was a misspeak on my part, it is indeed a freewheel.

As to what it took for the chain to clear the frame, it was more than moving one thin washer from one side to the other. It took two to three washers to get me the clearance needed to fit the chain on the seventh cog, and the same on the other side to keep the wheel centered. Whether or not you consider that substantial, I personally consider it more than a simple task I would expect someone new to biking or a modern bike shop to do, and that is really all I have ever had to say on the matter. I'm out on this discussion, it has hijacked the original thread enough.