View Single Post
Old 03-19-18, 03:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
I might recommend using a Dynamo hub which you can plug in lights and USB chargers that are powered by your front wheel moving. The neat thing about that is you can run them anytime and you never have to charge them.

I would also avoid cotton as people have said. I would also add a sleeping bag and pad vs. emergency space blankets. I would ditch the bandannas and stick with the buff, they are lightweight and quick drying (assuming not made of cotton, all mine are synthetic but they may make cotton ones?)

As far as firearms, carry or don't carry but make sure you are doing it legally and don't do anything stupid. I personally would go for something lightweight and easy to carry and probably stick with one magazine but then again I haven't really had a need to carry on tour. I have been in situations not on tour where just pulling out my phone in the dark sent people running because they thought I was pulling a gun and ran off. You could also try impersonating Bobcat Goldthwait and just be a little crazy.

For personal lighting I would go with a headlamp because when you need a flashlight you also need your hands. Black Diamond headlamps keep going up in lumens but not in price which is excellent and they make a USB rechargable one.

I personally would skip the TP and go with baby wipes which can be used to clean yourself off/freshen up in other ways. Keeping all of your downstairs areas nice and clean is important so you don't chafe or get rashes or sores which are not fun.

A folding tire isn't a horrible idea but if you replace your tires with good quality new tires you might not really have the issue. Though plenty of spare tubes is good.

Water, water and water, along with some good food that you can eat while cycling. Sometimes on those hot long days in the saddle trying to stomach heavier foods can be tough but an energy chew or gel can help give you some boost. Also a good electrolyte mix like Coco Hydro, Nuun, Camelbak Elixr (the last two are in tablet form and easy to use) can be handy as well. Like food sometimes water can be hard to put down and as someone who has been there many times I have relied upon that stuff to keep me hydrating.

Also Dr. Bronner's soap is good for cleaning just about anything and I always carry it on tour and use it around my house. From cleaning my body to my floor to my dishes it does it all quite well.