View Single Post
Old 03-21-18, 08:27 AM
Kontact

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2145 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert View Post

The axle breakage/spoke breakage routine only existed for Shimano marketing. Yes, axles broke and 126 axles were marginally more likely to break. It was never a big deal. The axle cracks and remains in position, it has nowhere to go. You don't even know it until you have the wheel out. Most riders never broke an axle for the simple reason they never rode their bike enough. Those who rode constantly expected to work on their bike regularly and axle replacement is simple work on a cup and cone. There were always shortages of Campy, which usually meant shortage at prices you wanted to pay, but there was never a time when service parts were not totally available. Shimano eats dead bears at supplying service parts and was even worse in 70s and 80s. Campy always always had service parts. Raleigh and Schwinn always had service parts to send to the most bicycle-backward corner of the country.

The other point is riders were a lot lighter in 70s. Back then I was 6'1" and 160#. I was always the big rider in any group. 200 pounds just did not exist for young men. Guys who played football or rugby were probably under 200#. Mamils did not exist. All parts on a bike were under a lot less stress than they are now,
You certainly don't make it sound like breaking axles was a non-issue. But I was talking more about the resistance to going to wider axles when they were just becoming available - that folks would be skeptical.

Still have the RRB? I used to work for Ron.