Chukbacca

Bikes: 1988 Univega Alpina Pro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Univega Viva Sport

Hi all...

I was given this frame, wheels, and a box of components today; a buddy of mine realized he had way too many projects and I was glad to accept. I'm more of a riding my mountain bike of the road kind of guy, but the thought of (re)building a bike intrigued me, my buddy swears this bike should fit me perfectly (I'm 6'-5").

I don't have a need return this bike to stock (although I'm not opposed to it), and I don't have a need for high end components as I don't typically surround myself with other cyclists (I'm not showing off); as a matter of fact, I'd almost rather just find cost-effective used parts (think $100 c&v challenge mentality). I'm not super keen on the shifter location, as I'm not super keen on drop bars; I do want to maintain having multiple gears.

The bottom bracket definitely needs love, I haven't opened it up, but it's not smooth. I'll need to get the crankset; I am hopeful I can get something decent/reasonable at the local co-op. The wheels have sew-up tires; I just want a tube/tire, can these wheels accommodate the change? I think there are two suntour derailluers, a duraace and a shimano 200 (I think they might match up to the shifters)

The serial number is 0E28935 with 65 underneath sideways; if someone happens to know more about the vintage and cares to share, that would be way cool.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and input!
Have a great night!
Chuck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
unnamed (2).jpg (1.28 MB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg
unnamed (1).jpg (940.1 KB, 32 views)