Old 03-25-18, 06:12 PM
Suza

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Crossroads Sport, 2018 Specialized Women's Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by travbikeman View Post
I was told by my LBS that you can go as far down as 28mm on the Crosstrail wheels. I'm skeptical on that though. I went with 35mm Nimbus tires myself, but my new wheels cannot handle anything smaller than 35mm. I use the Nimbus when I know that I will be mainly riding pavement and use the Triggers for the gravel trails.

The Marathons look nice though and I have heard nothing but good things about them. I'm most likely going to try those myself when it's time to replace my Nimbus.

There were articles, somewhere, don't have time to look, but that there were study's showing that the wider tires really don't reduce rolling resistance by as much as you think. It's more in the tread of the tire. I noticed once I started using the Nimbus for pavement, it was much smoother and much more agile than the Triggers. But they weren't as nice on the gravel as the Triggers.

And tire pressure as well as weight of the tire.

I remember the days when bikes were simpler and you didn't think about things like this - just went out and had a blast riding. Oh the places we might have gone had we only known!