SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2345 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mihlbach View Post
Not true..a coaster brake is just as effective at stopping the bike as any rear brake. A front brake (regardless of type) is more effective than any rear brake (regardless of type) at stopping the bike.

A $25 Shimano CB110 is about the best coaster brake you can buy.

I have a couple of Shimano CB110 equipped bikes. One is a single speed offroad klunker and another is sort of a lazy "around town" bike. When broken in and adjusted correctly they roll smoothly, efficiently, have good modulation and are perfectly reliable. Messing around with coaster brake bikes can be a lot of fun. I beat the hell out of the coaster brake on my klunker, and have on many occasions cooked the brake on downhills. I haven't gotten it hot enough to experience brake fade, but definately hot enough to burn my fingers. It seems to hold up fine.
+1

I have five bikes with CB-E110s. I've converted them to loose ball. They are quiet, smooth, modulate perfectly, and I can lock up the rear with very little effort. That's not to say that locking up a rear brake is an efficient way to stop, because it isn't. But CB-E110s do NOT lack wheel stopping power.

Two of mine are almost twenty years old and have given me zero problems. I don't understand why so many people hate coaster brakes. They work just as well (which is poorly) as any other rear brake.