Drillium Dude 
Gone riding

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1755 Post(s)
Liked 1,571 Times in 662 Posts
Found this on Columbus Air:

Columbus AIR:
"Columbus Air was the Italian manufacturer's initial attempt at an aerodynamic tubeset. It dates from the early 1980's. The intial version used a teardrop shaped down tube, seat tube and seat stays in conjunction with an oval top tube and chain stays, and a round head tube. Later versions had teardrop shaped chain stays. The tubeset was designed primarily for time trials and aerodymanic efficiency and therefore it is not practical to compare it directly to other round, Columbus tubesets. However, based on tube thickness, the seat stays were equivalent to KL and the chainstays, seat tube and top tube were equivalent to SL, while the down tube was equivalent to SP. Due to the teardrop shapes the resulting frames weighed more than SL, but had less strength. The rear triangles in particular had a reputation for being whippy, due to the thin seat stays. However, this was considered acceptable given the intended TT use and aerodynamic advantages.Of particular note, the seat tube came in two versions. One with a standard round top end, to accept a normal seat post and another which carried the teardrop section right to the top, requiring a teardrop section seatpost. If you have the latter, you may have some difficulty finding a seatpost, unless it is being provided with the frame.Regarding componentry, most frames built with this tubing were outfitted with Shimano Dura Ace AX, or less likely, 600AX. Campagnolo did not have an aero group at the time and the Italian farme builders did not want to miss out on the aero bandwagon, in the event it turned out to be the latest craze."

This, coupled with the fact that your frame has an FD boss, puts the build at no earlier than 1983. The "oro" look was starting to give way to "aero" by this point, so this would be one of the last of what I like to call the "bling bikes". Yours appears to be in fantastic shape. I wonder if it is actually gold plating or something else that's allowed it to survive so well. Most of these things lose gold plating if you look at them wrong.

Personally, I'd build that up with NR or SR and ride it like I stole it. I don't know if these later "oro" bikes are as desirable as the earlier ones (Colnago, Ciocc - Guerciotti did an earlier one, too); certainly they don't pop up in big enough numbers to make any kind of accurate assessment.

You'll have to post your riding impressions, let us know if they match the review above.