Old 04-01-18, 06:40 AM
DougG
Road Runner

Bikes: 2017 Felt VR5, 2012 Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One thing about getting yourself into a more upright riding position is that you might then start thinking about a new seat since you'll be changing and increasing the load on your hindquarters. My wife rides a "comfort" bike and likes the bars really high so she's upright, but then we've had to go looking for a matching "comfort" saddle.

I bought one of the first Crosstrails that arrived at my LBS when they came out in 2012. Even though I've always also had a regular drop-bar road bike, after riding the CT a few times I felt that the riding position was too low and stretched out for the casual type of riding that I planned on using it for. Since searching for just the right stem is problematic, I bought a shorter, adjustable Forte stem from Performance Bike and was able to get a good position with a few degrees of rise and the shorter reach.

I never touched it again, but after getting into better biking condition over the last few years I've started thinking that I might drop it down a notch or two this season. I doubt that I'll go back to the OEM stem (assuming I could find it in my discarded-parts bin!), but I think that lower would now be better.