View Single Post
Old 04-02-18, 02:00 AM
berlinonaut

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by dahoneezz
What is the weight savings going Ti by the way?
On an actual Brompton Ti about 750g, on an older model like that one here up to 1kg (including the ti seat post), according to Brompton. Well worth it if you can afford it. Plus the ti fork and rear frame are scratch- and corrosion-resistant. Depending on the price a used ti is therefor absolutely worth buying. No need to change the brakes btw. - I do not see an advantage in the 2018 ones. The 2018 bell is a joke. And this older version has the luxury of a ti-folding-pedal-bolt that today's bikes no longer have.

Originally Posted by dahoneezz
Another thing. Why get the rack on a two speed? You the weight savings. Scrap the rack, save the money and get the front luggage block and a bag.
Depending what you intend to do the rack may be useful or not. If you roll the folded bike a lot or use it in trolley mode in the supermarket it works better with a rack. If you want to travel with the bike a rack can sometimes be better, for luggage as well as for protection. If you have to carry bigger things like packages a rack can be really helpful. I have both, Brompton with and w/o rack. While I personally like the non-rack-version more regarding the looks the rack version is more practical. And yes, one of my tis has a rack, too. Plus hub-dynamo, a leather saddle and a nine-speed. Still it is 750g lighter than the same bike would be in steel.

Getting rid of the rack is just three bolts plus you can sell it and make some money. Upgrading a steel to ti is utterly expensive and upgrading a non-rack to a rack-version is ~150€. Maybe the OP will have to spend ~250€ in maintenance parts and upgrading the brake levers, the rear frame clip and to the spider cranks (w/o bag, luggage block and hinge repair, should it be necessary). If the price is right this bike is a good buy.

Last edited by berlinonaut; 04-02-18 at 02:10 AM.