Old 04-02-18, 08:21 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 745 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dmnk View Post
I'm looking to buy this bike, however I'm not sure about the size, would be grateful for some advice . I'm 178cm tall, which is between M and L. I went to the store the other day to check it out and L model's top tube is touching me when I'm off the seat. For M version seat has to be quite high. What would you guys recommend in this situation?
Get the large.

I'm about 2 inches taller than you and had the same question. The top tube barley touches my nether regions when I hop down off the seat.

Deal with it. Tip the bike slightly to the side when you hop off so the bar is lower. It feels wrong at first but after stopping 10-12 times it becomes normal. Now a year after buying the large it feels totally comfortable and I never bang my gibblies.

I bought the large after testing both. I went back to the store after having rode the large for 2 week because it just felt odd. I rode the medium around the marking lot and it was obvious how tiny that bike felt in comparison. I mean it felt small and cramped.

At 6 foot the large is easily the better sized bike for me. You're a little less than 2 inches shorter than me (which I'm going to assume means your backside is 1 inch lower than mine (since it's halfway up your body) so you might be small enough for the medium...but somehow I'm betting not.

Best advice is to go to the store and test ride both. Take each one on a 1 mile trip around the parking lot o up the street and see which one just feels better.

If you're riding a smaller bike now, you may just be used to a smaller bike even though it's not optimal for you. You may find that a large is the better bike after a mile or two even though it feels huge when you first get on it.