View Single Post
Old 04-03-18, 10:06 AM
motorapido

Bikes: 1976 Schwinn Super Le Tour, tricked out with modern components. Shimano Alfine 11 internal gear hub. Dynamo hub. Titanium racks and bottle cages. Mercier Kilo Wide Tire dropbar singlespeed

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 1 Post
Riding it from airport?

Originally Posted by spinnaker
The Montour is excellent in my opinion. There are very few places now where you will even touch a road. Most of that is right here in Robinson where you will be crossing roads. The most concerning is the road that goes up to the mall. You just need to be careful crossing the road there.

The next place you will contend with roads is down past Library, PA much of that is roads but they are back roads with very little traffic. They just completed a new section there that bypasses much of the road and that section is absolutely beautiful.

The next danger part is crossing Route 51. When you come to the intersection of Oak Rd and Route 51, there is the old Wall Hotel on your right and a park on your left. Cross through the park, into the Dick Corp parking lot. Go to Route 51 and there will be a crosswalk right in front of you. The Montour Trail is directly across the street.

You will be on a bike path again for a while and it is unbelievable. If you look close you will see tons of turtles, cranes (and if you are lucky) river otters. You are just a few miles from one of the once most polluted towns in the country.

When the trail ends, you will make a left onto Route 837. The traffic is very light and slow here as well as going across the bridge. After crossing the bridge and making a left, the traffic picks up a bit but just for a short distance.

The "trail" will tun to the left off of the "busy" road and take the back streets. Once you reach the Youghiogheny, the signs will want to take you across the bridge into McKeesport. Ignore the signs and just stay on Creek Road because you will only be crossing back again.

There is a new hostel on the other side of the river but I have never been there and not sure if I would want to stay there considering the high crime rate in Mckeesport. Instead I would stay at the Yough Shore Inn. The road to the Inn is a bit busy but not too bad and worth the ride. PM me for my real name and tell Lin I sent you. There is also camping in Dravo that is free.

An alternate would be to take the Montour to Library, PA then take the light rail into town where you can see the city which is well worth seeing. You would miss the awesome new section of trail and the section with all of the animals but I think that is a fair trade.

PM me. If I am around I can act as tour guide if I have the day off. That lower section of the trail can be a bit confusing.
If you're flying in to the airport, that's a great way to get to the GAP. If you're starting there after driving in with a bicycle and are seeking a rental car drop off, consider that there is an Enterprise rental office in the downtown Pittsburgh train station, which is just a few blocks from where the GAP begins. You can drive a rental there, unload your bike, leave the rental and then ride the whole GAP. If going through to DC, on the C&O You can finish in Georgetown and ride the bike path to Reagan national airport and get a rental car there. Very easy. Less hassle than the limited bicycle service by train.