Old 04-11-18, 02:40 PM
dezellis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will try to answer the questions.
I have rode it almost every day for nine months in all weathers in the UK where road salt is frequently used in winter. It is just nine months old.
I do use a torque wrench but had no reason to use it on the clamp because I had never removed it. It was the clamp breaking that focused my attention on the headset/future shock problems.
I was aware of rust stains on the forks before the clamp broke but I could not obtain replacement headset bearings they are unique to the Roubaix/Ruby 2017/2018 and every one was out of stock so I did not strip it down until the clamp broke.
I stripped it down to photograph it immediately after a 50 mile ride in heavy rain so moisture in the photographs is no real surprise. Why so much moisture gets in the head tube I don't know but I think we should be able to use our bikes in the rain without having to strip the steerer tube and dry everything afterwards.
Friction paste was evident in the steerer tube and the outside of the future shock cartridge. I re-applied friction paste when I re-assembled also.
I am pleased that there was no evidence of corrosion on yours sirkaos. I wash my bike with soap and water and a sponge and rinse with the sponge and clean water no pressure washer.
My bike has done 9000 miles but I did not expect to have to strip the future shock and maintain this so I have not maintained it until the clamp failure. In fact Specialized have said that I have voided my warranty by stripping it down and maintaining it.
I suspect the future shock is factory fitted and not fitted by my bike supplier so standard assembly practices of grease and friction paste that the manufacturer uses would have been used.
Regards
Dez Ellis