Old 04-15-18, 06:48 AM
Papa Tom

Bikes: The same GT Outpost Mountain bike I've been riding since 1996, although I modify it throughout the year for commuting, touring, and recreational riding.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
>>>In addition to a map, you can create a route on Google Maps and print a cue sheet from that for almost free.<<<<

Disclaimer: I am not an international tourist. What I call a "tour" is a one or two day ride to the next state. If you are OK with this, read on!

While I don't have what is commonly called a "photographic memory," studying Google Maps (especially street view) ahead of time gives me a pretty complete picture of the area I will be traveling, however subconsciously some of the details may be implanted in my head. Not only does an image of the overall map stay in my mind, but so do the refreshment and bathroom stops along the way. Most of the Google Map cyclists I speak to share the same experience.

GPS, on the other hand, provides a much smaller picture of what's ahead, focusing primarily on getting you to the next turn. You may be different, but I prefer to know where I am in relation to where I want to be, for which a pre-printed Google Maps cue sheet -- or a paper map -- is much more effective.

Last edited by Papa Tom; 04-15-18 at 06:51 AM.