Old 04-20-18, 08:50 AM
Schreti

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Strategize maintenance of bike

Hello,

I am new to this forum (first post) but have been searching through on various topics. I was looking for some advice on what I can do to upkeep my approx. 5 y/o hybrid Schwinn. It was a big box store bought by my wife for father's day some years ago so it holds some sentimental value.

I am primarily starting to use it for bike commuting hopefully even in harsher weather/winter (Northeast Ohio). To this point I have done minimal maintenance on it but am looking to try and make it a solid commuting bike. There are a few issues:

1. Rusting of bolts, cassette and chain. Minor rusting of cassette and chain but it's more of a cosmetic thing. Also the front is a bit squeaky and I can see some parts are rusted there.

2. Probably most important. I think the brake cable and lever may need replaced. Noodles are slightly rusty but most importantly the connector to the rear brake lever appears to be broken. Already ordered new brake pads as well.

3. Issues with ghost shifting and front derailleur will not shift to big ring. Actually I got it to shift to big ring but now chain is grinding on front derailleur. I lost the H/L adjustment screws on front derailleur so I ordered a new one last night.

I have some ambitious plans for the bike longer term but am not sure if it would be a reasonable investment Vs. Buying a new bike. I got a quote from local bike shop for fixing minimum (they also recommended replacing bottom bracket) of $150. Since the bike was a gift and I know it isn't a terribly expensive bike (approx. $400) I want to try and make this a learner bike doing DIY work myself for most of it. But given my limited knowledge of this stuff I'm not sure if I should just fold and buy the bike I really want.

I'd like to install drop bar ends on the bike and add another braking system on the drops. Is that actually possible? On my hybrid do I need grips or can I just take those off and use tape for the bar?

Also was thinking of painting frame. Just some general thoughts looking for group recommendations. My first concern is making it safe and reliable then the fancy stuff will come over time. But I'd really like to get it running pretty quiet as well.

My commute is 6 or 12 miles each way depending on office I am working at. I can post specific pictures as requested just let me know.