Old 04-23-18, 08:01 PM
firebird854

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
This may be different... or may not because so few people had powermeters... but I raced my first elite crit nats with a powermeter I'd gotten that year (got crashed out of the top ten with three laps to go, ugh) and my ftp at the time was right around 4.3 w/kg.

Yet I was still a moderately successful cat 1 (though I had to be fairly lucky to get in and survive a break).

But now everybody knows their numbers, and there are these 4s and 5s with 4+ w/kg, yet they can't do anything with it. They have no strengths on teh bike, can't read a race, can't hide when necessary, no timing or positioning skills, no sprint, etc., etc. Still no race craft.

But the numbers don't make races faster, either. Because you're not riding that fast at 4.3 w/kg relative to the speed of a spirited group.

So that's why I don't think racing changes much, despite whatever gadgets people are training with. Racing is a skill that usually comes to those that spend a lot of time practicing and honing it. And honestly, the less power you produce, the better racer you'll probably be out of sheer necessity of not being dropped. You have to maximize your pack and finishing skills because you're not going to ever ride off the front.
I fully admit that I have zero race skills at this point. I'm very timid in a large group and frankly lose my positioning descending or whenever it seems somewhat sketchy, then have to give it my all up a climb in order to regain what I'd lost. However, I still train as perfectly as I possibly can, I'm starting to do group rides, and intend to absorb these skills as fast as I can. Honestly, I only have around 5k miles period, but once I gain these skills my FTP will hopefully be higher, and then I can really put it to use.

At this point, the amount of training I've done has made it so I can stay to the side and into the wind, not take any risks, and still finish mid-pack. Had I not trained so hard and raised my FTP to what it is now, I'd frankly be killing myself trying to hang on, and likely get dropped, prompting me to never race again.

On a side note, in the 4/5 race, there was a massive crash next to me, any recommendations for lessening the possibility of crashing?