View Single Post
Old 04-24-18, 06:58 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
No fair! I remember this table but not the PDF URL. I only get the abstract from your link, no table, etc. It's a study of sleep low, train low (low carb availability) vs. train high. Without the PDF we don't know what their definition of "economy" is. So of course the SL group's fat oxidation improved, but with a concomitant decrease in CHO oxidation. There's always a trade-off. Also no TT results for the two groups, which is what I would call the determinant result as far as desirability of SL etc. goes. See my tag line.

Many of us do a variation on the SL thing by simply training in the morning before breakfast, or going on training rides for several hours without eating, etc., which all have a similar effect on fat burning. But then we also do intervals to keep the carb burning apparatus in good condition.

Chapple started this line of thinking back in 2006 with his Base Building for Cyclists. AFAIK the method by which one periodizes nutrition to achieve this increase in fat burning makes no difference.

I ran across an interesting article on pros doing what one might call permanent nutritional periodization:
https://www.ridemedia.com.au/feature...weight-debate/
Pm me if you(or anyone) wants the pdf. I have academic access to it and others