Old 04-27-18, 05:33 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
You just posted that you have no science to back you up, but you expect it from me? LOL

Here's a first offering: "According to the Federal Highway Administration, Angelenos drive 23 miles per resident per day. This ranks the Los Angeles metro area 21st highest among the largest 37 cities. The champions (or losers) are probably Houston, followed by Jacksonville and Orlando, all of which are over 30 miles per day. New Yorkers drive the fewest miles (17 VMT per resident per day), thanks in large part to relatively high transit ridership and lots of walking trips." Los Angeles Transportation Facts and Fiction: Driving and Delay - Freakonomics Freakonomics

If LA is a natural smog trap, you'd think they would go out of their way to limit causes of smog like driving, instead of promoting it with hundreds of miles of freeways.

EDIT - I was actually surprised that the New York numbers were as high as they were, even though they are the lowest of any large American city. I guess it's because the people who live centrally are less likely to drive and the people who live farther out like Staten Island, are more likely to drive and have long commutes. I would also be tempted to speculate, but I haven't found a source yet, that New Yorkers on average also have smaller vehicles than Los Angelenos
I am not sure Cars are always the major problem. Take a look at highly dense cities in China compared to the U.S. and we are not talking a little difference. Xingtai Has a population of over 7 million people and might be the most polluted city in the world. Some might have forgotten about the olympics in China and how the residents wore masks to walk in the streets? https://www.forbes.com/sites/niallmc.../#4be8b7142362