View Single Post
Old 04-30-18, 05:32 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
Honestly, I think the only time I will really miss a car is on rainy days. Picking up a friend to go to the cheapie matinee at the Grand Lake Theater on a rainy day has been a tradition. Not sure I'd be willing to add the cost of Uber or Gig, etc., to that. I've not used Uber or Lyft before but if short rides are economical, I guess we could combine a Bart ride to MacArthur with a short Uber ride to the theater. There's also a bus but I find the bus much more tedious than Bart. For getting around by myself, I don't foresee any issues though; I even have a terrific bike riding poncho for wet days. My car currently costs me around $550-600/yr total but that would still fund quite a few alternative rides. As for your morning coffee, that just makes me realize some habits will have to change. Not a bad thing, right? Create new enjoyable options. =).
What kind of car costs only $600/year when you include the cost of buying the car, the insurance, the fuel, maintenance and parts, and parking costs?

If you buy a used car for $2000 and keep it for four years, that would be $500/year right there without adding any other expense, and what $2000 used car doesn't need repairs or maintenance?