Old 05-02-18, 12:07 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Originally Posted by fantom1
Well, at least you live up to your name; you sound like an authentic trash pile. Not showering, stealing, using homeless shelters made for those who actually NEED them. Seriously, what a dirtbag, I hope no one follows this advice.
There are actually several legitimate options mentioned there. Places like municipal parks and fairgrounds that offer camping sometimes have showers. Some charge for camping. Some don't. When I crossed the country with a small group we camped in several city parks and fairgrounds that had shower access. In a couple of instances Harlem, MT and Dyersville, IA), the showers were in city pools. Stayed two nights with a host in ID. She arranged showers for us at a local gym. There is a community recreation center in Monroeville, IN that allows cyclists to sleep for free when the place is not being rented for an event. Hot showers and plenty of AC. All it asks is that you enter your name and home town in a large registry. Was touring in MT and ID last summer. One night I stayed at a federal campground that had no showers. The bar/restaurant near by had a public shower. Don't know if they charged as I had already bathed in Lake Koocanusa when I realized the place had showers. I have seen signs in RV parks offering showers to people just passing through. Coin-op shower at a truck stop in Tonasket, WA.

Not sure what stealing you are referring to. Free, "dispersed camping" is legal on much/most U.S.F.S. and on some BLM land.

And sometimes you have to go without. Spend a couple of nights camping on the west side of Glacier National Park and you won't have shower access. Went three days without a proper shower during the trip mentioned above, but that didn't stop me from washing up in a lake and a river.

I would draw the line at a homeless shelter, however.