View Single Post
Old 05-04-18, 07:55 AM
MY3blKAHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is it that I am just Weak? (2.1" Tires)

I recently moved to the suburbs and got the bicycle bug again. I used to own (Cannondale Quick SL 1 Bike - 2013) rei.com/product/844758/cannondale-quick-sl-1-bike-2013 which I really liked and it was decent, at least to what I understood about bikes to take me on paved roads along the ocean.

4 years later, my friend gets himself a (Diamondback Haanjo EXP Carbon Bike - 2017) rei.com/product/108760/diamondback-haanjo-exp-carbon-bike-2017 and this bike is just very cool looking. Friend rides it on a wooden boardwalk mostly and loves it. What do I do? I follow and buy the same bike.

Now, here is my concern.
I took it on a paved road in my town where roads are somewhat up and down. There is a bit elevation but to me, someone who is not doing this every day, it is just hard. I struggle when going even on minor uphills. So my question ... is it just a huge difference in how much power the new bike need versus the old one I had? Having such wide tires makes it twice as hard to ride? assuming I am riding on paved roads.

I plan to possibly ride 70-80% of time on paved roads and only 20-30% on off road, but nothing crazy like downhill at high speeds. Is this too much of a bike for me to enjoy? Or suck it up and build some muscle? :-)

As an alternative, I can easily switch now to a (Cannondale Quick Disc 1 Bike) rei.com/product/108568/cannondale-quick-disc-1-bike

Thank you.