View Single Post
Old 01-11-06, 09:52 PM
outrunner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the hub systems out there drew 50 amps and were 12v they would be 600 watts.
This would be great for using todays lithium packs.

But the hub systems are 36v and 48v and you must series many lithium packs then do paralells of the series to get your mah up.

Lithium packs are typically 3 cell and 12 volts.

So sounds like the hub is the best deal mechanically (because it is a huge outrunner) but the problem is the voltage for lithium packs.

I'm not sure how well the hubs are made- they could have many poles and N50 Neodymium magnets or have ferrite magnets and not be living up to their potential??

I have several motors and stats indicate voltage has little to do with efficiency.
So you can use less voltage at higher amps as long as it is all setup for it.
This may be the case with my outrunner doing so good on 12v and putting out 1/2 horsepower (350watts) on the test bench.

It does not have to be 36V or 48V to get you a horsepower because the paralell lipolys can handle the amps.

What needs to happen is the hubs need to be made 12V and draw more amps to get 600 watts (50 amps)

Since the 12v batteries handle 20 amps at 2AH imagine that 10 of my batteries would give 20AH and handle 200 amps (at only 40 ounces weight!!!)
At 1/4 its draw (50 amps) the pack would not get warm at all!

The zap motor uses two motors on each side.
With two of the outrunner motors it could use a bigger wheel to the tire, go around 40mph and have around 2 horsepower.

My motors are faster RPM- 640 rpm per volt.
To power a pedal crank directly it would need to have a reduction setup. You could get way more than 5:1 with a few inch diameter gear for it to reduce onto.

If I had mechanical skills there would be 4 or 5 of these bikes with each type of drive train possible but I don't so hopefully y'all can help out there.