canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by SethAZ
Are you saying that according to this theory you can store more glycogen than usual after a brief HIIT session? I'd be interested in hearing how that works. I did quite a few fasted state longer bike rides last Fall, and I'd like to get back into this more in the next few weeks before I deploy, if for no other reason than I can burn way more calories on a 2-hour bike ride than I can in a 30-45 minute jog. The future for me, though, in the next year is going to be more running and such simply because I can't bring my bike on this deployment. I'll be interested in trying my 32-mile route in a fasted state while in ketosis to see how it goes. I'd bring some energy with me of course as a backup in case my body can't keep up, but I think if I keep my heart rate firmly in zone 2 I can probably do it.
Scroll down halfway on this article on carb loading to read the method on brief HIIT to kickstart the body into more efficient glycogen storage. I'm still looking for independent corroboration of the method described, since I don't see any link in the article.

But it's easy enough to try. I already do something similar, although with a gradual warmup -- I need about 30 minutes to warm up before attempting any HIIT. Then I need a cool down period. In effect, it's similar to my usual 90 minute rides of about 30 miles. But I've been trying the methods described for Kenyan marathon runners, mixing in Fartlek training -- irregular bursts of sprinting along with the more gradual continuous training, without the rigorous timetable of HIIT.