Banned.

Bikes: Trek DS 3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
In what what does it feel small?
I think that I have just been on oversized bicycles most of my life and accidentally fell into the correct size bike finally. It's starting to feel correct after about 100 miles in less than 48 hours

If you feel that the handlebar is too close, there are two ways you can change this:
Actually the opposite. When I lean forward or somewhat regular stance with two hands on the bar, it feels comfortable. I put on a lot of miles and like to be more upright and not leaning so far forward.
Move the saddle rearward. You usually have plenty of adjustment here (the saddle is likely centered), and you can likely slide it rearward at least an inch. Small differences seem to have a large effect. Also make sure the saddle's height is adjusted correctly -- you should have only a very slight knee bend in your extended leg when you pedal. A saddle position change is free.
I did play with the seat a bit and made huge difference in things, including the bike feeling "too small" in many ways.

Move the handlebar forward and/or down. This will have to be done with a replacement stem. You can buy an adjustable stem ($20-25 or so) that will allow you to pivot the stem up and down to find exactly the right height. Or, you can buy a fixed stem that's either longer or lower or both than your current stem. Going longer will obviously move it away from you, but going lower should help also, especially if you feel up in the air with it. A different fixed stem will likely cost $10-15 (unless you go for an exotic material, or for Trek's proprietary Blendr stem).
Stems are my next focus and what I need to educate myself more on. Definitely feel if I can get that part correct with a good seat, I am going to be a very happy camper for a while!

Thanks for putting some attention into it and responding at length.

Man I really fell in love with this bike today!