RMoudatir

Bikes: Otso Warakin, 2014 Fuji Sportif 1.4 disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta

i am not sure I follow you..

Just going to a single ring up front does not make the cassette any different in its range.

For example if the bike has a triple crank and a 11-32t cassette, and you change the front to a single ring, you are still going to have an 11-32t cassette.

Are you talking about going with a single ring AND swapping the cassette to a wide range one?

if you goal is to get low gearing, the triple crank already gives you that with the small ring in front. The reason for the super wide range cassettes is to make up for the range lost when going from a triple ring crank to a double or a double to a single.

So, it is very unlikely that you would achieve lower gearing going to a single ring. If anything you will LOSE some low end.

Also, unless you are looking at 11 speed stuff, you are not going to find a rear deraileur the will work off the shelf. You will need to look into a Goat Link or similar to use with the RD.

if the bike you are looking at are triples, the small ring is probably 22 (maybe 24) if they are 9 speed bikes, the biggest cog on the cassette is probably 34. 22:34 is a pretty darn low gear. Even 24:34 is.
What I meant was to have a bigger cassette in the rear, since most bikes with triple cranks I saw had up to a 32t or 34t cassette in the rear but I wanted a much larger one like a 40t or bigger which is why I questioned if it would affect the set up since the biggest chainring of a triple will be much larger than a 1x chainring, I was not sure if a triple crankset would limit the range of a cassette making it not able to go 40t or above.