SpongeDad
Overacting because I can

Bikes: Merlin Agilis, Trek 1500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Serendipper
Silicone breasts have got to be way more dangerous than steroids.
No. The silicone used in breast implants is selected to be biochemically inert (and rafts of studies have failed to contradict this). Steroids are some of the most biochemically active substances known.

I am not up on steroid research anymore, but I can say that when I did steroid research every sample came with a big red label that said "Possible Carcinogen." Of course, it's also true that some steroids that are used to treat cancer. Basically, there's a lot we don't know about steroids and their long term effects, so I'd be leary about them. From a safety standpoint, I'd want to get better information than you're likely to get on this forum no matter how well intentioned the comments are.

A quick google of current steroid health issues notes that

"Specific risks for guys include:

testicular shrinkage
pain when urinating
breast development
impotence (inability to get an erection)
sterility (inability to have children)
Steroids can also have serious psychological side effects. Some users become aggressive or combative, developing "roid rage" - extreme, uncontrolled bouts of anger caused by long-term steroid use."

I'd want to investigate the validity of these risks a long time before I shrunk my nuts, developed boobs and cried when I pee. I can't answer this for you 'cause I haven't independently studied this.

Finally, we're the same size and your description of your metabolism sounds eerily familiar. Your metabolism will slow down, for me it was when I hit 38-40. At 42, I have to drink Diet Coke, watch what I eat and cycle religiously just to keep from being a lard butt. I wish I could have that old freakish metabolism back.

My advice is this. Like me, you're short and slight. Bulking up now will only leave you a fat slob later. If you're concerned about your appearance (like most of us), dress like a European, which is a bit more elegant anyway.

"I am a courageous cyclist." (SpongeDad)